Quality Enhancement Cell
Assessment of an educational program is a continuous process of getting feedback and using collected data for the improvement of student learning. Data is typically gathered from students and teachers and used to evaluate the academic and learning activities. The goal is to ensure that the quality of education is at par with the standards set by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) of Higher education commission (HEC) of Pakistan.
HEC requires universities and affiliated colleges to conduct periodic self-assessment for its academic programs in order to improve the quality of education. Self-assessment is an important tool for academic quality assurance and provides feedback for faculty and administration to initiate action plans for improvement. Academic activities in different Higher Education Institutes (HEIs) are assessed according to the criteria and standards defined in “Self-Assessment Manual” of HEC. The manual outlines quality assessment program that revolves around the activities like purpose/outcome identification, measurements & evaluation design, data collection & analysis, and decision-making.
Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) at Sir Syed College of Computer Science (SCOCS) was established in December, 2016 under the guidance of University of Engineering & Technology (UET), Lahore.
Main responsibilities of QEC include
• Assessment of academic facilities and incremental improvement.
• Teacher assessment and improvement of teaching methodology.
• Course evaluation to ensure gradual improvement.
• Enhancement of institute’s educational logistics.
• Continuous enhancement of academic standards.
• Enhancement of student’s learning.
Activities of QEC
• Arranges seminars, workshops, trainings, and visits to enhance the quality of education in SCOCS.
• QEC is responsible for promoting public confidence regarding quality and standards of education at SCOCS.
• QEC is responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
• QEC is responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
• QEC is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods for subject and staff development along with other scholarly activities.
• QEC is responsible to ensure that SCOCS’s quality assurance procedures are designed according to the requirements of the parent institute.
• QEC is responsible to develop procedures for the following:
- Quality of content of each subject.
- Annual assessments like program evaluation, faculty assessment, and students monitoring.
- Student feedback
- Subject review
- Institutional assessment
- Teaching Methodology